Wednesday, July 7, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

News Flash: I'm feeling so much better, I cleaned the microwave door.

First, I heated water for my new expensive mouthwash: 8oz warm water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda. Stir to dissolve and rinse the mouth every hour or two. (That in itself is a
major thing - the first time I have touched the microwave since before Christmas).

Second, I noticed the door was not as clean as I would have liked it, so I got the soap and cleanser and wiped it down. I did not have the strength to clean the inside, but hey, I did the first piece of housework since before Christmas. Happy. Happy.

Now, the things I have learned to love in this time:

During the misery and horrible experiences since I got so sick, I have come to greatly appreciate small things. It has helped me handle the difficult times.

1. My husband.

Not s
o small a
thing, w
hen you think about it. But Chris has been the most faithful and loving companion, and h
as
shown me (and all of those around us, Christelle included) what servant leadership is all about. He could quite easily have used his work as an excuse and
hired a caregiver, but he
did all his own work, took my care on himself, and took over my hou
sehold duties as well. He did all this with patience and good humor and encouraged me when I'm sure he had his own emotions to d
eal with.

2. Christelle. She finished out the last semester of her junior year with joy and dedication, and processed my illness with grace. She would come lie on my bed with me at times and just cry. Sometimes, she would just come and sit on the bed next to me to do her homework, and at other times we talked about my illness and what it meant for all of us. I have watched her grow spiritually, and at the same time date for the first time - a lovely young man who is caring and protective of her. She cooked for us and did her part in keeping the house clean, while working hard at her schoolwork and music. She has been a joy to me during this time.

3. Our Children and Grandchildren.
Lydia and Joel have been
very generous this summer. Lydia was completing the last semester of her Masters Degree and Joel kept his office going, but came to Tuscaloosa to visit this summer. Lydia was scheduled to be here three weeks, but while everyone was gathered in June, Joel came to tell me that he and Lydia had decidedshe should stay longer. She has been our support during these last weeks while Chris was incapacitated - shopping, cleaning, cooking, laughing, joking,
watching the Cooking Channel with me. I so appreciated Joel's generosity in lending us his wife for 6 weeks. It takes a special son to show his love in such a tangible way.

Cameron and Marelize have been no less generous and loving. Cameron has kept busy flying all over the world and then doing training to become flight commander.
As soon as they could, they came to Tuscaloosa on an Air Force transport plane, apparently quite an adventure. When Cameron had to go back to work, Marelize and the children stayed another several weeks, enlivening all our lives. She just went back to Tacoma last week, taking Christelle with her to help with the children on the plane. Imaging flying across country with a 5 month old baby and an active 2 1/2 year old little girl. Marelize was up early every morning, baking and making all sorts of goodies for us to eat, cooking with her sisters and cleaning, and doing all the things that a big house needs to have done. Cameron also, showed his loved in this tangible way when he could have legitimately have expected his wife and children home after he had been gone for three weeks.

4. Friends.

During these months I have learned how many good friends I have. Friends have called and written notes and emailed and done small and large acts of service. There are several friends who regularly send a card or a note or a text message to encourage me.

There have been those friends who came to stay for extended periods of time to help. I think of my South African friend Martie who came in January/February from South Africa to take care of me when I was very, very ill. She was helped by Rina and Johan to buy the airplane ticket. I appreciate it. I think of Laura who came twice with her little girl Anna to stay with me and try to find something to tempt my appetite while her husband stayed in Atlanta to work.

There have been those friends who put together a scrapbook to remind me of how they remember me. Thanks for those pages that made me laugh, Uconn friends.

There have been those friends who sent an enormous gift box of food to help during those times when nobody is here to cook for us or we have unexpected guests or not enough time to prepare something nutritious and delicious. Thanks Liz and Adam.

There have been those friends from Tuscaloosa Vineyard Church who called to pray with me and came to visit and sing hymns with us and brought magazines - too many to mention. And Judy who took me to the doctor when Chris could not.

There are my friends from work: My department head who has come to see me every month and who has supported me and prayed with me and served me with good advice in how to navigate the university bureaucracy during this time; the lady colleagues from the dinner club who put money together to buy me pretty pajamas when I was so weak I did not dress to go to the doctor; the colleague who sent a check in lieu of flowers so that I could buy something more lasting to help me during this hard time; the many friends I thought I did not know so very well, who have shown themselves faithful prayer partners and encouragers. I also have some students who have written emails and kept in touch on Facebook and came to see me bearing Cokes and good wishes.

5. Jack LaLane's Power Juicer

We used the money gift mentioned above to buy a power juicer. What a pleasure. You have not really tasted an apple until it has gone whole through the juicer. Breakfast: 3 carrots with a smidgen of orange juice. Lunch: 3 medium tomatoes and 2 celery sticks. Dinner: handful of strawberries and blueberries, apple, peach. Extra snack: pear, cucumber and apple. And on and on.............. It is also Lydia's favorite new toy, so we have the benefit of her experimentations.

6. My Handwork.

I have always loved to knit and crochet and embroider and so on. Not so much time during the busy academic year. During the last month or so, my energy has picked up to the point where I am enjoying the crochet work again. I'll upload pictures when I have a finished product to show.

7. My Teaching.

I am teaching two online classes this summer and I am loving it. The students are wonderfully responsive and are working very hard. I am amazed at their insight and how they ask searching questions and investigate certain concepts of interest to them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a gift you are Tharien. You sharing your life with us. It is huge. I love the way you write too. Quite gifted, I would add:-)

Ek bid steeds dat jy, mooie mens, saam met jou pragtige gesin, baie jare van saamwees sal beleef. Met hope pret.
Die foto van jou en Chris is absoluut stunning. Dankie!

Unknown said...

Family is a wonderful thing...and the amazing thing, during times like these, good friends become like family too! I loved reading the blog...you truly are a wonderful writer. I love you and miss you greatly. I am still praying for you all diligently. Continue to update, I love hearing from you!

Love,
Amber Whitlock